The dairy industry is dedicated to the production of milk and processing of by-products such as yoghurts, cheeses, butter, cream … This sector generates a large quantity of process water highly contaminated with organic matter, nitrogen and phosphorus, detergents, acidity, oils and greases.
The range of water treatment solutions Salher offers endless options to address any quality and innovation challenge.
Origin of the wastewater issued from the dairy industry and its by-products
Wastewater are generated through:
- Manufacturing process,
- Cleaning of tanks, equipment and installations, surfaces (floors, walls), leaks and spills.
- Regular drainage operations. These operations represent the largest part of water consumption to guarantee the required hygiene and quality conditions.
- Sanitary uses.
There are several treatment solutions depending on the defined strategy, the type of project (wastewater treatment, reuse) and the discharge of treated water.
Standard line of treatment for dairy wastewater
1. Pumping at the head of the plant.
Depending on the flow, the pumping station can be prefabricated or a civil engineering structure. Salher tanks are manufactured in GFRP according to the Filament Winding method and have the following advantages:
- Complete waterproofness and corrosion resistance,
- High isothermal resistance to temperature variations,
- High chemical and mechanical resistance to enable underground installation in circumstances such as deepness, water-table, etc.,
- Light equipment,
- Long-term durability,
- Flexibility which enables multiple shapes and designs in accordance with the requirements of the project or works.
The installation of a screening system for coarse, fine and non-putrescible solids is necessary. Salher recommends a rotary drum sieve with automatic cleaning system and a mesh lower than 3mm, reference TA-RO Salher brand.
3. Advanced primary treatments.
- Equalization tank to buffer the peaks flows of the plant, homogenize the loads, control and correct the pH, and laminate the effluent.
- Dissolved air flotation unit, a physical-chemical treatment that separates suspended solids, greases and organic matter by flotation through micro-bubbles. The yields of this process can be greatly improved with the addition of coagulants and flocculants, prepared in the UAP (automatic polyelectrolyte preparation plant).
4. Conventional biological secondary treatments.
- Activated sludge treatment (aerobic) with nitrification-denitrification and clarification process.
- Treatment through moving bed biofilm reactor or MBBR system (aerobic). More compact and flexible technology; stable for the removal of BOD/COD and nitrogen. The addition of iron salts (iron chloride) is necessary to chemically remove phosphorus.
5. Sludge conditioning.
Once the treated water is ready for discharge, we recommend to reduce the maximum volume of sludge. To this end, several treatments are available:
This process eliminates odors through active carbon and ionization.
Compact container solution
Salher meets the demands of all its customers, whatever the destination of the plant is, thanks to its containerized solutions. Salher compact and containerized plants can treat flows up to 150 m³/day.
One of the main advantages of this solution is the reduced space in which the treatment and control equipment are housed, allowing a comfortable handling and supervision by the technical staff of the plant. Salher containers are thermally insulated and perfectly conditioned to the climate of the implantation site.
Its transport and installation are fast and easy.
- Studies and evaluations,
- Civil engineering and design,
- Water engineering and design,
- Commissioning assistance and in situ technical support,
- Electronics, instrumentation, automation and remote control of the plants,
- Technical support for operation and control,
- Multilingual documentation.
ProjectsDiscover our potential to innovate and create the ideal solution for every challenge.
EPC Project. Salher supplies a custom-designed wastewater treatment plant for the meat processors industry
The last wastewater treatment plant designed by Salher has been a turnkey project consisting of the enlargement and modernization of the WWTP of a leading company in Europe in processed meat products.This new project was based on the challenge of adapting Salher...
Milk, cheeses, yogurt, butter, cream, curd, ice cream ... It is no secret that the production of any kind of dairy generates high volumen of process waters full of organic materials, nitrogen and phosphorus, detergents, acidity, oils and fats.This all amounts to a...
The excesive use of fertilizers in intensive agriculture and the discharges of sewage and slurry from livestock contaminate the water with nitrates. Salher develops treatments to avoid pollution and reduce the impact of nitrates in groundwater.Aquifers in Spain are...
Salher has 40 years of experience manufacturing pumping stations of glass fiber reinforced polyester (GFRP) for any type of clean water and wastewater, of multiple sizes.Salher pumping stations are prefabricated and they are usually placed at the head of our water...
Designed and developed to meet all the requirements in water treatments.
Carrera Toledana, 33. Arganda del Rey. Madrid 28500. Spain.
+34 91 870 00 15
Spain / +34 91 870 00 15
France / +33 1 84 16 47 84
Malaysia / +60 102 452 108
Mexico / +52 55 5081 8437
Peru / +51 620 0722
Poland / +48 22 737 24 95
Portugal / +351 234 795 821
Paraguay / +595 981 252 845
Philippines / +63 (0) 977 215 4199
Engineering – Wastewater treatment – Purification – Liquid/solids separation equipment for industrial and municipal process applications – Surface water – Groundwater – Water Reuse – Drinking Water – Hydrocarbon and Oil Water Separation